Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm Alive and Well

Long story short, the injection wasn't that bad!

I got there right at 2:00, but the doctor hadn't shown up yet for his 12:30 appointments. Hmm. (This is not the doctor I'm seeing about my back problems...this is another doctor in his practice who takes care of the injections.) Anyway, they had separate waiting rooms for family members and patients, so Clark was not allowed to come back and sit with me. I thought that was rather ridiculous, especially since I was so nervous, and waiting for hours by myself only made things worse.

The nurses called me to ask questions and get my IV set up. Having an IV put in has never been more painful. I've had many in my lifetime, and I know I have very small veins. But this lady DUG around in my arm and kept pushing on my nerves with her fingers. She kept trying to get me to look at what she was doing so that I was aware she was about to hit a nerve. I didn't look because I was getting a little queezy. Anyway, she got another nurse to help and they decided to navigate away from the nerve - probably a smart decision. Getting the IV and waiting for hours was the worst of it. My dear friend Amy would have done a MUCH better job.

I went into the room, and they told me to unzip my jeans and lay on my stomach. No problem. Then some dude pulled my pants down. Ack! Not like all the way down, but about half-crack (my injection was very, very low on my spine). I got three big syringe-fulls of happy medicine, and the next thing I knew, they were telling me to roll over onto the stretcher and they wheeled me out. I laid down for a while as they monitored me, and some nice lady gave me some apple juice, plopped me into a wheelchair, and took me out to the car where Clark was magically waiting. I don't really remember anything...they said the medicine wouldn't make me go to sleep - it would just relax me. Well, what was apparently an half hour procedure felt like half a second to me, so I won't complain. It didn't hurt. Thank you, drugs.

I was totally zonked out the whole way home from the hospital, and by the time Clarky set me up for my nap in bed, I wasn't sleepy anymore. He got me my requested dinner of Apple Jacks and ice cream, and then I was even feeling up for going to Bible study. There are two RNs in our study group, so I was confident that they could help me if things went south. Everything was fine.

I've decided that I really don't like people telling me how bad something is going to hurt and how sore I will be afterwards. I am not sore. My body is achy, but other than that, I'm doing just dandy. Maybe it'll be a different story tomorrow, but as of right now, the only pain I feel is the same back pain I've always had. The nurses told me that the injection will take a few days to start working, so I guess that's why nothing's changed yet.

So, that's that. Thank you so much to all of you who were praying for me. It was all supposed to be a lot worse than it ended up being for me, so consider your prayers answered positively! I really appreciate all of your support!

(PS - there are now three out of six couples in our Bible study group who are preggo. Just thought I'd share)


Lauren said...

So glad you made it thru OK Jess! Hope things start feeling better soon! :)

AmyB said...

I'm so glad you are okay!

I'm sorry about your IV...let me know next time, and I'll drive up to do it for you... :)

Jess said...

You both are sweet :)

I'm still doing well, but I'm a little sore today because I pushed it too far yesterday. I guess I wasn't ready for a whole day of cleaning yet!

And Amy, your call was such a blessing, thank you, love