Tomorrow marks a week in the hospital, which means one more week that Lily Mae has ripened in my belly. There's been drama, but at the moment, things are stable. (That could change in 10 minutes, but for now, stable. Haha)
Let's see....my last update was on Monday from the antepartum department. I woke up 5:00 am Tuesday morning with lots of contractions, was monitored for a couple hours, and was then transferred back to labor & delivery. I was put back on a magnesium sulfate drip but had continued to contract the entire day. After 12 hours on the IV, I was taken off at 9:00 pm and to everyone's surprise, my contractions actually slowed. So at around midnight that night, I was moved back to the antepartum department (our fourth room, if you're counting). We got all settled and unfortunately Clark had a horrible sleeping situation in that room. Poor guy. At 4:30 that morning, I woke up again with contractions. I was monitored again, had an exam, and was moved back over to labor & delivery at 8 am yesterday morning. I stayed there for a while with pretty intense contractions, but they slowed down again by around 2 pm. After that, I was moved back to antepartum where I've stayed up to now. I've made it over 24 hours in this sixth room and it's been completely uneventful.
I've had lots of fantastic visitors who have really helped to pass the time. I've had a few contractions throughout the day today, but nothing to write home about. I'm at 5 cm, 100% thinned out right now. The doctors have teamed up and decided that if I progress beyond this at all, they are going to go ahead and help my labor to get her out - there will be nothing else done to stop labor. However, since my contractions sometimes don't do anything, they're not going to go ahead and start active labor yet since they're unsure how long my body will hold it off naturally. Lily Mae has been perfect the entire time and everyone here is very confident that she'd be fine with probably no long-term side effects. While there's of course a chance that I could stay this way for a couple more weeks, labor is predicted within the next couple of days. I'm told that even though things are slow right now, because of the way things have been, it would be very unusual for something not to happen soon. We're just playing a waiting game now, but should I make it to 34 weeks, I'll be induced at that point to prevent infection to the baby.
So, here's a really terrible picture of me at 32 weeks, 2 days. It doesn't look like you're going to get a nice pretty picture of me in a cute outfit against my wall at home - in fact, it's official that I will not be allowed to go home at all before I deliver. So there's the update! We'll have our little girl soon (and truth be told, I'm starting to get less worried and a little more excited to meet her)!
Specific prayer requests:
- That Lily Mae would be born as strong and healthy as possible
- That she would have no long-term complications, and minimal short-term ones
- That I would somehow figure out this labor thing, as my childbirth prep classes hadn't started before I was admitted...I don't know what I'm doing
- That my pain would be bearable - I am pretty determined to do this thing without pain meds
- That she would stay head-down, her umbilical cord wouldn't get crimped between her head (that's a little concern), and that she'd tolerate labor well as to avoid a C-section
- That Clark and I would continue to support one another through this trial
God is good, and we've got faith!